Published Date: 2012-03-13 18:54:26
Subject: PRO/EDR> Dengue/DHF update 2012 (11)
Archive Number: 20120313.1069462
DENGUE/DHF UPDATE 2012 (11)
A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
In this update:
Cases in various countries:
India (various states)
Brazil (Mato Grosso do Sul state)
Brazil (Braganca, Para state)
Brazil (Rio de Janeiro municipality, Rio de Janeiro state)
Paraguay (Cordillera province)
Cases in various countries:
- Indonesia (Jakarta). 12 Mar 2012. Since January until this March , 174 dengue fever cases have happened in North Jakarta. Those cases were spread in Koja Sub-District as much as 45 cases, Tanjungpriok Sub-District 41 cases, Penjaringan Sub-District 35 cases, Cilincing Sub-District 30 cases, Pademangan Sub-District 12 cases, and Kelapa Gading Sub-District 11 cases.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Jakarta can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/0uLE. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Bataan). 6 Mar 2012. In Bataan, 7 municipalities were tagged as hotspots as dengue cases there have increased by almost 70 per cent compared to last year . Dr. Rosanna Buccahan, PHO officer-in-charge, said 364 cases of dengue fever were recorded from January - February this year  compared to 214 for the same period last year. No fatality was reported.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Bataan province can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWe. - Mod.TY]
- India (various states). February 2012. [Ronan Kelly (<firstname.lastname@example.org>) provided the following information taken from official India government statistics http://nvbdcp.gov.in/je-cd.html
State -- Cases/Fatalities (Change from previous month)
Tamil Nadu 434(+261)/1(+1)
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of India showing the states mentioned above can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWf. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Mato Grosso do Sul state). 9 Mar 2012. The latest epidemiological bulletin of the state Secretariat of Health, released 3 Mar , reported 250 dengue cases in Mato Grosso do Sul, with 89 in Campo Grande. The Director of Campo Grande Health Surveillance, Marcia Dalfabro, reported the confirmation of 2 cases of dengue 4 virus [infection] in Campo Grande in residents of Jardim Eliane and Conjunto Parati. She said, "Dengue virus type 4 has never entered Mato Grosso do Sul; this is the 1st time. The population is without protection [immunity] against virus type 4, the entire state is susceptible to this type of the disease [virus]."
http://g1.globo.com/mato-grosso-do-sul/noticia/2012/03/ms-corre-risco-de-epidemia-de-dengue-tipo-4-alerta-diretora-de-vigilancia.html in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Mato Grosso do Sul state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1kdj. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Braganca, Para state). 6 Mar 2012. Since the beginning of 2012, Braganca registered 8 suspected dengue cases and one confirmed that was imported from elsewhere.
http://www.atibaianews.com.br/ver_not.php?id=22806&ed=Sa%FAde&cat=Not%EDcias in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Braganca can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWa. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Rio de Janeiro municipality, Rio de Janeiro state). 6 Jan 2012. Rio has its 1st fatal dengue case since August 2011. The cumulative number of dengue cases up to [epidemiological] week 9 (26 Feb - 3 Mar ) is 9640.
http://odia.ig.com.br/portal/rio/todos-contra-a-dengue/rio-tem-a-primeira-morte-por-dengue-confirmada-em-2012-1.416123 in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Rio de Janeiro municipality, Rio de Janeiro state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1qJg. - Mod.TY]
- Argentina-Bolivia border. 8 Mar 2012. Salvador Mazza [Salto province, Argentina] reported 97 suspected dengue cases up to 6 Mar 2012; 15 have now been discarded. In Yacuiba, Bolivia, 18 cases have been confirmed and 35 discarded of 450 suspected dengue cases. In the border area, the number of suspected dengue cases increased to 97. As of 6 Mar 2012, 7 dengue cases have been confirmed as dengue virus type 2 and 4. Of the 1st 3 confirmed cases, 2 had travel histories to Bolivia (Yacuiba and Santa Cruz de la Sierra; the other case worked in the Quebrada Internacional [International Falls]. The remaining 3 cases did not have travel histories to Bolivia and reside in the La Pista neighborhood. The last confirmed case had traveled to Yacuiba (Bolivia) before the onset of symptoms.
http://www.fmalba.com.ar/ampliadafma_20120307_20407.html in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Salvador Mazza, Salto province, Argentina can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWg and Yacuiba, Tarija department Bolivia at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWh. - Mod.TY]
- Paraguay (Caacupe, Cordillera department [state equivalent]). 8 Mar 2012. The latest statistics indicate 25 positive dengue cases. Suspected cases increased to 150 just in the Caacupe area and in Piribebuy there are another 22 suspected cases.
http://www.abc.com.py/nota/confirman-que-docente-murio-de-la-enfermedad/ in Spanish, trans. - Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map sowing the location of Caacupe in Coreillara department can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWi. - Mod.TY]
- El Salvador. 7 Mar 2012. Confirmed dengue cases are declining; in the period 26 Feb - 3 Mar there were 68 cases. In the previous week there were 80, but the figures continue to be elevated in relation to the previous year [same dates] when 280 cases were reported. Now  there are 735 infected individuals. San Salvador, La Libertad, San Miguel, Sonsonate and La Union are the departments with the most positive tests in the most recent week.
http://www.elsalvador.com/mwedh/nota/nota_completa.asp?idCat=47673&idArt=6707952 in Spanish, trans. - Mod.TY.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of El Salvador can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1kd0. - Mod.TY]
- Niue Island. 6 Mar 2012. Niue health authorities are hopeful they've contained a rare outbreak of dengue fever on the island where 3 people were reported with dengue last week, with 2 admitted to hospital.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Niue Island in the Pacific can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1ZWj. - Mod.TY]