Published Date: 2012-06-11 14:54:01
Subject: PRO/EDR> Dengue/DHF update 2012 (24)
Archive Number: 20120611.1163511
DENGUE/DHF UPDATE 2012 (24)
A ProMED-mail post
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
In this update:
 Cases in various countries:
Philippines (Central Visayas)
Philippines (Western Visayas)
Philippines (Santiago City, Isabela province)
Philippines (Zamboanga city, Mindanao)
Viet Nam (Ho Chi Minh City)
Malaysia (Lawas, Sarawak state)
Singapore (North east region)
India (Maharashtra state)
Australia (Townsville, Queensland state)
Mexico (Tamazunchale, San Luis Potosi state)
Mexico (Mazatlan, Sinaloa state)
Brazil (Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state)
Date: Thu 7 Jun 2012
Source: Xinhua News Agency [edited]
Cambodia reported 4434 dengue fever cases in the 1st 5 months of this year , an increase of 340 per cent from 1007 cases reported during the same period last year , Ngan Chantha, director of the health ministry's dengue control program, said on Thursday [7 Jun 2012].
From January to May 2012, the disease killed 21 children, up from only 8 deaths at the same period last year , he told Xinhua over telephone.
"The disease bursts out in a large scale in every 5 years -- this year  can be the large scale outbreak of the disease," Ngan Chantha said, citing the large-scale outbreak in 2007 with 40 000 reported cases, killing 407 children.
To prevent the outbreak this year , he said, about 270 tones of abate (a chemical substance used to kill larvae in water pots) are being distributed free of charge to households.
He also appealed to people to sleep under mosquito nets and keep clean environment around their houses.
Dengue is [transmitted] by mosquitoes. The disease causes an acute illness of sudden onset that usually follows symptoms such as headache, fever, exhaustion, severe muscle and joint pain, swollen glands, and rash.
In Cambodia, outbreaks of dengue fever usually begin at the onset of the rainy season in May and last until October.
Last year , the country reported 15 980 dengue fever cases, killing 73 children.
[byline: Deng Shasha]
[The newswire above reports an increasing trend of dengue infection in Cambodia. A total of 4434 cases and 21 deaths were reported in Cambodia during the 1st 5 months of 2012. An increase of 340 per cent of dengue infection was reported in 2012 than for the same period in 2011, when a total of 1007 cases and 8 deaths were reported. In 2011, a total of 15 980 cases and 73 deaths due to dengue infection, with a case fatality rate (CFR) 0.5 per cent, were reported in Cambodia (see http://www.wpro.who.int/entity/emerging_diseases/25_Jan2012DengueBiWeekly.pdf).
According to the WHO Western Pacific Regional Office's (WPRO) report on the dengue situation, dated 1 Jun 2012, dengue activity is still high in Cambodia. A total of 3322 cases and 16 deaths due to dengue infection, with a CFR of 0.5 per cent, were reported between 1 Jan 2012 and 9 May 2012. Relatively sustained high and increasing activity of dengue infection has been reported in 2012 compared to the historic seasonal baseline; 676 cases and 4 deaths, with a CFR of 0.7 per cent for the same time period in 2011 (see http://www.wpro.who.int/entity/emerging_diseases/1Jun2012.Dengue.pdf).
For a map of Cambodia with provinces, see http://ephotopix.com/image/asia/cambodia_province_map.gif. For the interactive HealthMap/ProMED-mail map with links to other recent PRO/MBDS and ProMED-mail postings on Cambodia and neighboring countries, see http://healthmap.org/r/1iGB. - Mod.SCM]
 Cases in various countries:
- Philippines (Central Visayas). 8 Jun 2012. A week after it announced a 17 per cent spike in dengue cases, the Department of Health in Central Visayas documented 366 more cases of the mosquitoborne disease. The bulk of cases, 104, are in Cebu City. Dengue cases rose from 2463 as of 26 May to 2829 as of 2 Jun  a Regional Epidemiology & Surveillance Unit (RESU) report said.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of the Central Visayas region can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yqM. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Western Visayas). 8 Jun 2012. Based on records from the Department of Health (DOH) in Western Visayas, 1472 dengue fever cases with 26 deaths were reported from Jan-26 May . This number is higher than the 1030 cases with 15 deaths for the same period last year. The increase in the number of cases was recorded in Iloilo and other provinces on Panay Island while there was a reduction of cases in Negros Occidental which had the most number of cases last year, said regional epidemiologist Dr Jessie Glen Alonsabe.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of the Western Visayas region can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yqN. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Santiago City, Isabela province). 6 Jun 2012. In Santiago City, Isabela, 4 people died from dengue from January-May , prompting local officials to declare a dengue outbreak in the area. Authorities said 11 villages in Santiago City have been affected by dengue, with Barangay Rizal having the most number of cases with 32.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Santiago City, Isabela province can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yt0. - Mod.TY]
- Philippines (Zamboanga city, Mindanao). 4 Jun 2012. City health officer Dr Rodelin Agbulos said on Monday [4 Jun 2012] that Zamboanga City remains to be in the dengue outbreak level, as cases soared to 1053 and the death toll now pegged at 14. Agbulos issued the declaration as he called on all sectors anew to intensify drives to search and destroy breeding places of dengue [virus] carrier mosquitoes.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Zamboanga city in Zamboanga Peninsula can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1HUd. - Mod.TY]
- Viet Nam (Ho Chi Minh City). 8 Jun 2012. The municipal Preventive Medicine Department reported that there were nearly 650 cases of dengue fever in May , up 27 per cent compared with April. Infections occurred in most districts and precincts and are expected to rise in the coming rainy season, said the municipal health care watchdog.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Ho Chi Minh city can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1koM. - Mod.TY]
- Malaysia (Lawas, Sarawak state). 6 Jun 2012. The State Health Department yesterday confirmed that the outbreak of dengue in Lawas is now over as there have been no more new cases recorded this week. Its director Dr Zulkifli Jantan confirmed that 25 positive cases were registered in the last few weeks.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Lawas in Sarawak can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2ywY. - Mod.TY]
- Singapore (North east region). 3 Jun 2012. In Ang Mo Kio, 2 areas have been hit with a spate of dengue fever. Since 12 Apr , 53 people living in Ang Mo Kio [north east region] Avenues 5 and 10 have caught the viral disease. The cases are from 19 housing blocks in the area. A National Environment Agency (NEA) spokesman said the outbreak was the largest so far this year .
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Singapore can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yAi. - Mod.TY]
- India (Maharashtra state). 9 Jun 2012. From Jan-May  there are 5 cases of dengue. The Pimpri-Chinchwad municipal corporation has registered its 1st dengue death this year.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Pimpri-Chinchwad in Maharashtra state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yDm. - Mod.TY]
- Australia (Townsville, Queensland state). 6 Jun 2012. A dengue fever outbreak has been declared in Townsville, with one confirmed and 2 suspected cases of the illness in the same neighbourhood. Public health physician Steven Donohue said the confirmed case had been acquired in the suburb of Heatley, as had one of the suspected cases. The other suspected case was detected in someone who had recently travelled to South East Asia, Dr Donohue said.
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Townsville in Queensland state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yqE. - Mod.TY]
- Mexico (Tamazunchale, San Luis Potosi state). 9 Jun 2012. With the confirmation of a DHF death in the Tezapotla community, an alert was issued by the health sector for the inhabitants of nearby communities due to the constant, ongoing contact they have with communities along the route of indigenous people served by rural transportation.
http://www.oem.com.mx/elsoldesanluis/notas/n2574440.htm [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Tamazunchale, San Luis Potosi state, an be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yDp. - Mod.TY]
- Mexico (Mazatlan, Sinaloa state). 7 Jun 2012. The head of [Mazatlan] Health Jurisdiction 5, Aaron Montoya Serrano, said that there is a risk of a dengue epidemic. To date, 42 suspected dengue cases have been registered. The official indicated that the test results would be available in the coming week for samples sent in and 25-30 of them may be positive for dengue [virus infections].
http://www.debate.com.mx/eldebate/Articulos/ArticuloGeneral.asp?IdArt=12142682&IdCat=6087 [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Mazatlan, Sinaloa state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/2yDq. - Mod.TY]
- Paraguay (national). 8 Jun 2012. The health system registers 20 932 confirmed dengue cases of 28 000 reported ones, with 48 confirmed [dengue] fatalities and 33 still under investigation. "It worth clarifying that 56 per cent of the confirmed deaths concern patients with other severe morbidity conditions and 42 per cent had a previous dengue episode [infection]. Still, the mortality rate is very low; nearly 99 per cent of the patients are recovered," said Dr Ivan Allende.
http://www.ppn.com.py/html/noticias/noticia-ver.asp?id=84937 [in Spanish, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map of Paraguay can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1l5K. - Mod.TY]
- Brazil (Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state). 3 Jun 2012. According to the coordinator of the Zoonosis Control Center, Alessandra Carvalho, from 1 Jan-1 Jun , 8365 people were reported with dengue [virus infections]. "Pedra 90 registered 904 cases, Santa Isabel 251, Dom Aquino 177, and Tijucal 160. To date, 37 cases are considered serious and there were 4 deaths," said the coordinator.
http://www.cenariomt.com.br/noticia.asp?cod=202075&codDep=3 [in Portuguese, trans. Mod.TY]
[A HealthMap/ProMED-mail interactive map showing the location of Cuiaba, Mato Grosso state can be accessed at http://healthmap.org/r/1te_. - Mod.TY]